Monday, September 8, 2008

Unholy or Delicious? You Decide.

While listening to an episode of Prairie Home Companion, I was shocked to learn that the Minnesota State Fair serves strange, unhealthy food. Of course, I had to have some. Along with Lingonberry ice cream and any kind of meat on a stick, you can purchase chocolate covered bacon. That's right. Bacon covered in chocolate. I consulted some reliable Minnesotans (is there any other kind?) and, yes, it is true. I think you know what happened next.

Chocolate Covered Bacon

Chocolate Covered Bacon

Some tricks that I learned.

1) Russian beer, preferably Baltika, helps. Seven or higher is recommended.

Baltika 7

2) Also recommended - learning how to pour a pitcher. (Geez, Regan, it's like you never went to college or something.)

Foam

3) Cook the bacon until crispy

4) It's actually a little difficult to get the chocolate onto the bacon without a vat of chocolate for a true "dip".

5) It's really not that bad.

If you would like some bacon related items, please go here.

For a little Southern flavor, we also fried some pickle slices. Dom made the batter with flour, a few eggs, too much red pepper, salt and Baltika 7.


Fried Pickles

Because of my taunts regarding his baking skills, Dom decided to shame me by making a Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. The recipe is a basic Betty Crocker creation. At first, it looks a little bit like Strawberry Celery Pie:


SR Pie

In the end, though, it came out very well. Good job, Dom!

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Now I'm off to unclog my arteries.

2 comments:

Laurie said...

Have not tried the bacon, but deep fried pickles are the best. YUMMO!!! Making me wish I were down south right now.

Anonymous said...

Great photos of the keg meister. How come you don't have any excellent places to dine in Pittsburgh mentioned?